Sunday, June 26, 2011

No Thanks Just Lookin' For Some Caulk

I'm on vacation this week but I had to write a short blog to share a funny (or humiliating depending on how you look at it) experience.

I had the day off before we left, so I headed down to the local hardware store to pick up a couple of things for the house. I walked in and the orange clad greeter met me with a smile to asked if she could help me find anything. I waved and smiled back, then told her,

"No thanks, just lookin' for some caulk!"

If you can't find the humor/humiliation in this statement, kick out the kids, close the door, then blurt it out aloud, like you would to any unsuspecting innocent clerk. You'll get it!

Anyway, my brain was about a half a second ahead of my mouth making the statement even worse. I realized what I was saying a moment too late and the last word caught in my throat (no pun intended). It came out as crass as can be, and the young sales associate pointed to isle three while trying to hold in the gale of laughter with her other hand.

I apologized then turned to proceeded to my walk of shame, wondering if there could possibly be a worse name for that particular material. Of course I could have said caulking, but how many of us do that? Instead we all say caulk, drawing out the "L" until our tongues hang out of our faces to punctuate the proper pronunciation.

Needless to say, I found my way to the proper isle, and they did indeed have more caulk than any store had a right to. I picked up what I needed, paid for it, then left, wondering about how many people have made that same verbal faux pax. Have you done it? Can you think of any other words that have that same verbal tripwire for the tongue? If you do, I would love to hear it.

Oh, and the next time I go to the hardware store, I'll tell her I'm looking for the light bulbs.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh! Although I have a contractor for a husband and a dad who did carpentry work, so I have always said caulking. Try these - hose pipe or waterhose pipe, water heater or hot water heater, tread a pipe or thread a pipe. The list could go on and on. I live in South Louisiana and I have had more than my fair share of embarrassing moments. They talk with a strange accent here and I am very proper in my pronunciations and do not like to be embarrassed. Let's just say, correct pronunciations can get confusing. You just gave me a blog story topic! Thanks. A new follower here. I hope you return the follow on my blog. I write book reviews and stories about my crazy life. Enjoyed your story! Donna
    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dona. I will definitely be stopping by!

    ReplyDelete